Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Jumping Over Hurdles

I have just about reached the 7 month mark of being in Cambodia; yet and still it seems surreal...surreal although with some very real hurdles. Yet my experience thus far and I am sure in the months to come wouldn't be the same without these hurdles. But since my last post there have been a few major events/situations that has canceled out all the negative ones.

First, I changed host families. I moved for a number of reasons of which I cannot specifically mention on here in light of not saying anything that might embarrass Peace Corps or my country of service. My new family is much larger (10 people including myself), and am no longer sleeping on the floor. Did I mention there is a toilet? So, as you can imagine the comfort upgrade definitely got turned up a few notches. My hopes and prayers are that my current situation remains happy, healthy, and permanent until the time I move back to the States.

Another thing that happened that made me ecstatic was when this man in the market started a conversation with me while I was eating dinner. Now, before I get to the good part let me just say that after 7 months of living here there are still people who do not in their mind believe I am American. They may be people I see and interact with on a frequent to semi-frequent basis, strangers, villagers, and even "esteemed city people". More often than not people think I am from India or England. Yes, I tell them in Khmer where I am from and my whole situation...but anyway...back to this man at the market. While some women were staring at and inquiring about my hair (another everyday occurrence, which is also accompanied with grabbing and touching) the man said in Khmer "...you are the same as Obama..." I just about screamed, started clapping, and shouted back in Khmer "Yes! Exactly! That's my uncle!" LOL I may have gotten a little carried away but that was a triumphant moment. It's hard to express my feelings of "Ah haa!", but the fact that he understood me as a human being while me not at all having to defend my skin color and hair as if I am a foreign creature, and the fact that Americans come in all different shapes, sizes, colors, follow different religions, eat all different types of food, etc. was a salient moment indeed! So, Mr. President, if by any chance in the world you happen to stumble across my blog I have a special request of you. Two, actually. First, is it okay if I call you Uncle Rack to back up the claims I made a few weeks ago? Also, I hear you will be in Southeast Asia sometime next month. If there's any time in your demanding schedule would you mind stopping by Cambodia to give your new niece a special shot out? I know both of those requests are far fetched, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask! :)

But back to reality...to be honest there have been times when I've gotten homesick. Things that have helped me to combat the solemn feelings are looking at pictures from back home, being somewhat "in the know" of what's going on- thank God for technology!, writing, and even pondering about what's waiting for me at home- family, friends, fashion, Chipotle, etc...you know, ALL the goods :)So yet again, I thank you for all your love, prayers, and support because without it I could not do what I am doing. Until next time, go eat a bowl of rice for me as I will not see it again until after Lent is over. It will be interesting explaining this to my village. I know they will probably think I am sick with Dengue again or just plain crazy, because no one here in their right mind would never NOT eat rice :)

1 comment:

  1. JaNise,

    I love your blog! It is so interesting and pleasant to read. You are taking me on a trip inside Cambodia that is so enjoyable. Keep up the stories. They can be made into a book when you return....think about it!

    Hugs,
    Donna C.

    ReplyDelete