Saturday, September 19, 2009

Getting Ready For the Real Deal

These past 8 weeks have seemed to vanish before my eyes. Although this training is shorter than length than I expected, it has been filled with many peaks, troughs, and plateaus as a every growing and learning foreigner in a foreign land. As my days of training ends, my real life as a volunteer begins. After this Friday, I will be a sworn in PCV and move on to my permanent provincial town. And until after Christmas Day (which is not at all celebrated here) I won't be leaving the borders of my province. But speaking of holidays, today ends the last day of a much celebrated Cambodian holiday- "Pchum Ben". For a little over 2 weeks, many familes pay tribute to their ancestors by going to their respective Wats (Buddhist temple) and throwing rice at the wee wee hours of the morning. The last 3 days are the most intense. It entails a lot of food, Wat-going, praying, and more celebrating. Many people leave the big cities (Phnom Penh, Siem Reap) and flood to their native hometowns to be with their families for the holiday. Twice this week, I went to the Wat with my "cousins"family (who is my friend and fellow PCT, Kealan's host family): once in our nearby Wat and another at a Wat in the next commune over. Both times were some of the most immaculate experiences that I have had. I was on the receiving end of the cultural exchange, and it felt amazing. My mosquito bites suddenly felt numb, the sweat all over my face was cooled by a breeze, and the food we were given was quite "ch'nang"(delicious).

While I am excited to begin my job as a volunteer, there are many things that are overwhelming. For starters, re-integrating and possibly re-learning the language (depending on the accent and jargon of the locals in my environment). I will also have to deal with being the only foreigner in sight in my very, very small town. Traffic is also another thing to be careful of; just in the past week and a half 3 people have been killed in moto accidents in my training village. Although we ride our bikes, there are relatively no traffic laws here. For instance, on my way to this Internet cafe I was riding side by side on the road with motos (up to4 and 5 people riding-babies included) and cars on a paved road where "get in where you fit in" is the rule to be followed. This is where I am thankful that cars have horns, because if anything these drivers use their horns to the fullest extent. Luckily for me traffic isn't as heavy in my town due to the size and my house not being on the national road, so I can walk nearly everywhere I need to go, within reason. (I hope any of you who read this-MOM ;)- are not freaking out. This is just a minor tidbit of the harsh realities to my situation).

I appreciate all the love I have been getting from all my family and friends at home in the US as well as support from my friends abroad who can relate (especially my fellow trainees). All the phone calls, emails, FB messages, letters, packages, and prayers have helped me deal with the hardest job of my life. My Louisiana family even made me a website. Check it out: http://jpcambodia.webs.com Until then, I hope you are enjoying the fall season (as that doesn't exist here) while I bask in the Cambodian sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment